Sunday, December 4, 2011

Casting Ready Player One

I just finished Ready Player One. Since the movie rights have already been sold, I thought I'd take a crack at casting it.

Parzival, Art3mis, Aech, Diato, Shoto: Go watch Ratatouille and pay close attention to Patton Oswalt's performance as Remy. Listen to him when talks about food. Hear how much joy and excitement it brings him, how much he wants to share his excitement with the world. Patton (and everybody at Pixar) absolutely nailed what it means to be a geek. That's what a Ready Player One movie needs: 5 young Patton Oswalts. Each of the main gunters needs to be able to convey the knowledge, passion, and dedication that makes somebody a geek.
That being said... I know this is getting off to a bad start, but I honestly have no idea of who to cast the main heroes since they're all supposed to be so young and I just can't think of the right teenaged actors for these parts. (I have faith, however, that you'll be able to help me in the comments section.) There is one young gunter who I have plenty of ideas about...

I-r0k: He's a total poser, so even though he's in high school he'd want his avatar to look stronger, older, more attractive, and cooler than he is in real life. One way to go would be to cast an actor in their 20s who's all of the things i-r0k would want to pretend he is. The very funny Donald Glover springs to mind. But to really establish i-r0k as a poser, I like the idea that he'd make his avatar look like a classic movie star (a contemporary star from our perspective.) i-r0k would want to see himself as somebody like Keanu Reeves or Will Smith. I can easily imagine Parzival and Aech calling him on it, too. ("Who died and made you Neo?") Since the humor would come from the disparity of the famous, action movie veteran getting trash talked and acting like an insecure kid, my final answer is Dwayne Johnson. I know that turns the name "i-r0k" into a terrible joke, but I swear I didn't mean it. I just like him because he's a great comic actor and his massive size would really solidify the character's poser status.

James Halliday: He's lonely, obsessed, sad, world weary, brilliant, and crazy. My first thought was Matt Frewer. He might read a little too old if you want to hold onto 40 as Halliday's base age. Robert Downey Jr. is another good pick, but Wil Wheaton already called dibs on the part, and we have to play by the rules. Sorry Robert. Wil Wheaton is Halliday.

Nolan Sorrento: This needs to be somebody who can be as good as Tilda Swinton was in Michael Clayton. (Her performance in the negotiation scene... holy crap was that good.) On the one hand, Sam Rockwell is perfect for the part. But after Iron Man 2 (it was okay) and Charlie's Angels (ugh) does Sam really want to play this kind of schmucky/evil character again? I thought about Nathan Fillion and Billy Crudup... but I finally landed on William H. Macy. The idea of him playing the, um... transformed version of Sorrento is just funny to me.

Acererak: This is a special effects driven character, so first let's talk about the voice actor. When I played D&D as a kid, I imagined everybody having a British accent. It just felt more regal and medieval that way. There's a lot of great options, but the two actors that leap to mind are Jonathan Pryce and Tim Curry. They've got the vocal chops and, as a bonus, they've got geek cred that would impress the hell out of the gunters (Rocky Horror Picture Show, Legend, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Brazil...) It's close, but I'm going with Jonathan Pryce. Now, about the visuals. Most of the book takes place in a CGI world, but in the spirit of the 80s, I think this creature should be done the old fashioned way--with a life size puppet. Therefore, this one has to go to Brian Henson. I'm a puppet geek, so I could have tried to impress you with other people who's last name isn't Henson... but Brian is the puppeteer behind one of my favorite on screen villains: Audrey II in Little Shop of Horrors.   

The Sixers: Every Sixer in the game has the same avatar. They clearly have to all be played by Nolan North. It's not up for debate.

Ogden Morrow: Unlike Halliday, Ogden let's his true physical age show (which is going to be visually important to show how much time has passed since the 80s), but he still has a playfully energy about him. I'd be surprised if Ernest Cline wasn't visualizing Dr. Meredith in Real Genius when he wrote Ogden's scenes. Personally, I was visualizing Kevin Murphy when I read the book even though he's too young. Anyway, the role calls for somebody with a sparkle in his eye and an anti-authoritarian streak. Martin Mull is a very tempting choice, but I'm going to go with David Ogden Stiers. If you don't recall M*A*S*H as well as I do, you may only remember the gravitas and pompous qualities he gave Charles, but he also fleshed the character out with gleeful, almost boyish notes. If you're not convinced, just forget M*A*S*H and think of his work as Cogsworth in Beauty and the Beast.

Narrator: Yeah, the book doesn't have have an omniscient narrator since it's told from the point of view of its protagonist... but for structural reasons, I keep thinking of the film opening with a modified, almost Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy-esq sequence based on the books "human condition" sequence. So, here's how it adds up: HHG2G + Narration + Atheism = Stephen Fry.

Newscasters: IOI owns a large portion of the media, so the newscasters that pop up throughout the story really have to convey every spooky implication. They're significant in the way the newscasters were in Bob Roberts -- although in this reality, every one of them is like the smiling characters played by Susan Sarandon and James Spader. There aren't going to be any alternative, questioning journalists here. My picks: America Ferrera, James Rebhorn, and Felicia Day.

Max: Matt Frewer! I knew I'd find a part for him!


12 comments:

  1. I cannot believe I googled this and only came up with one blog post. I figured when I finally finished reading this book, I'd be way behind and there would be thousands speculating. Not so, it seems. Anyway, here are my controversial and inaccurate, angering suggestions.

    The hardest one to figure out, for me, was Aech. I had Robert Sheehan suggested for the avatar, and for the real Aech... WHO KNOWS??

    Parzival/Wade: Iain De Caestecker (The Fades) Part of the reason for this choice could be that I was finally seeing the rest of series one of The Fades while I was starting this book. The other part of the reason is that the kid can act, and I think he could pull off both the nervousness and discomfort in his own skin as well as the confidence he needs later. I think he could play the unlikely hero as well as he plays a reluctant one.

    Ogden: They MUST find a way to cast Woz (Steve Wozniak) Mostly because the character seems like Woz's personality but with Steve Jobs' particular talents. I can only imagine how much The Woz would geek out on being considered for the part. And think of how much fun that set will be with Woz pranking everyone.

    Aech - Cannot say, mostly because saying who I would cast would be a major, MAJOR spoiler. But if you want to know what I think, let me know and I'll post it under a *massive spoilers* tag.

    Art3mis - Mae Whitman (Scott Pilgrim vs The World, Parenthood) She fits the description physically and I think she can pull off the character as well.

    Daito: Steven Yeun (The Walking Dead) The problem with Daito and Shoto is that they need to be different actors for the avatars and the actual people.

    Shoto: James Kyson-Lee (Heroes)

    Sorrento - James Patrick Stuart (Supernatural) He isn't well known, but every time I was reading Serrento in a scene I was seeing this guys smug face on Supernatural. He plays it well. Too confident, too cocky, too EVIL!

    Halliday - Alan Ruck (Star Trek:Generations / Fringe /Justified) Added bonus: 80's icon. He was Cameron in Ferris Beuller's Day Off! The perfect aging nerdgeek but with a spot of that old James Stewart universal likeability.

    Almost ALL of these casting choices are based on not just talent and a perfect fit for the role, but also their relative lack of star power. The licensing for the film will be outrageous alone. Add a superstar salary to that and you have limitations in other areas. That would be bad for a film of this scale. But then again, I cannot imagine a huge budget without a lead actor that's *hot* at that moment. It could be done, but I suspect we'll have at least one major star or it will not get made. Not the right way.

    Now that I've finished the book, I am even MORE fearful that they would have to leave out huge chunks or alter parts of it to fit a budget. Some of it, I'm sure, will be a licensing nightmare, encompassing huge swaths (or tracts, if you will) of nerd/geek/otaku culture. Stuff we ALL know, many of us by heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good comment! I particularly like your Alan Ruck suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of those are pretty good. Woz is a terrible choice though. I can see where you're coming from on the character similarities but he's not even an actor. That would be a travesty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not feeling most of them besides Holliday, it's Wil's for sure. Ache would be that same actor in heavy make-up as non-avatar screen time is less then ten min and "z" and Artimis look almost exactly Their avatars. Or Wade does after losing fifty pounds and is wicked pasty. There isn't much call in Hollywood for doughy kids. That said, I like Neal Patrick Harris for Nolan Sorrento, he can play a son of a bitch to a t.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to suggest:

    Wade Watts/Parzival - Clark Duke
    Art3mis - Kat Dennings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I gotta throw my 2 cents in.. I think the kids (Aech, Artie, Z) should be played by relative unknowns.. It's impossible to link an 80's reference to someone so young.. But for the others..

    Ogden = Dennis Quaid
    Halliday = Wil Wheaton
    Sorento = Anthony Michael Hall

    I love the idea of someone like Keanu for i-rok.. The references to his movies could lead to a lot of laughs..

    And I think it should be a trilogy. Each "Level" being it's own movie.. There's so much going on, it's gonna take away from alot of the plot line if they cram it into 90-120 minutes..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think prople should remember that the book takes place over a number of years so they would have to find multiple actors to show a age change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just putting in my $0.02 but I have to say, I love the idea of James Patrick Stuart as Sorrento. He would be brilliant! I personally was leaning towards Benedict Cumberbatch. Not sure why, he's always just been who I pictured. Not sure how well he can do American, but I reckon he could pull off that smugness, along with the hint of menace lurking just underneath thats needed for Sorrento.

    As for Wade, I reckon Thomas Mann would be a great choice. He's not too well known, yet I think he would be able to pull it off. And I think he looks the part as well, for both the avatar and him in real life. When someone pointed him out to me I instantly thought "Thats the guy who I've been waiting to see, that's what he looks like."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait, did it say in the book that i-r0k's avatar was African American? Because I was envisioning a kind of Grant Gustin for that role. He(Grant) can definitely play cocky...

    Also, I agree with Peter Tierney on his Nolan Sorrento suggestion. Neal is who I was thinking of too!

    Also, I know I've only been talking about the small characters, but who do you guys think should play Todd13(I think thats his name)? I know he only has a small part, but he represents all of the bullying Wade goes through. I don't know, I'm just thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey Indie69

    i would have yeun as shoto and the other as daito

    ReplyDelete
  11. what about the idea of having in O.A.S.I.S. and IRL actors? Or even making everything in the O.A.S.I.S. mostly CGI?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also, I'm a little bit nervous about RPO being turned into a movie. I'm very worried they are going to a really shity job. I think maybe a mini-series with some HBO money backing it up would be great. This way they wouldn't have cut things for time.

    ReplyDelete