Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Note About the Comments Section

I very much welcome and enjoy different and dissenting opinions here, but I also want to avoid letting the comments section become a place where everybody snaps at one another. So...
  • If you want to disagree with ME, I will proudly publish your comments. If you want to explain why you disagree with me, I will publish your comments with a smile. Heck, even if you just want to tell me to go screw myself, I will happily publish your comments so long as they don't include language that would offend other readers. (Swear all you want, but please don't use words targeted towards whatever you think my race/religion/gender/sexual orientation is.)
  • If you disagree with somebody who commented on a post, that's cool too. There's nothing wrong with saying "You're wrong." (If you can explain why you disagree--that's even better.) 
  • However, if you're going to tell insult another user or tell them to shut up, that's another story.
I'm writing this because somebody made a comment days ago to my Toy Story post that didn't get published for a while. I want to assure the commenter that the only reason for the delay was because Blogger had automatically marked the comment as spam. (I think this was only related to the length of the post.) As soon as I noticed it, I published it. I was not holding off because the comment disagreed with me. I'm sorry for the delay.

I noticed another commenter disagreed with that comment and told the person to basically go away if they didn't like what everybody else was saying. In the future, I'm going to try to avoid publishing comments that sound like the start of a fight between readers. (A debate is cool, a fight is not.) I'm publishing this comment because it's the first one of it's kind that I've seen on this blog and because, in comparison to what you see on the comments sections on most sights, it hardly qualifies as a breech of any sort of online etiquette.

I read and genuinely appreciate every comment made on this site, so I want to avoid any situation where somebody would ever regret posting their thoughts here.

Does that sound fair enough? (Please feel free to disagree or even to tell me to go screw myself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment